The EMID Board decided in October 2011 to accept a recommendation from member district superintendents to keep the EMID schools open under a revised financial model. That revised budgeting still lies ahead for the EMID community. But, for a moment, we hope that everyone who helped Save Our Schools feels a share of the congratulations for an effort well done!
However, the EMID board removed all integration funding from the schools in 2011 and never replaced it with any sustainable funds. So in 2012 the battle started over again and in 2013 the board plans, again, to close the schools. This time, though, we have some hope that other entities may take over the schools when EMID withdraws governance.
- Speak Up for Crosswinds Today! 21 April 2017
- Crosswinds and Perpich to House Education Finance, 3/15 13 March 2017
- HF1825 Seeks to convey Crosswinds in 2018 4 March 2017
- Saint Paul Public Schools may take over Crosswinds 25 February 2017
- MPR: St. Paul could assume control of Crosswinds 24 February 2017
- Public Hearing on Crosswinds, 2/23 17 February 2017
- Susan Mau Larson voted chair of the Perpich Board 14 October 2016
- Perpich community forum 5 June 2016
- Attorneys are asking for a metro-wide integration plan 6 November 2015
- The Imperative for 21st Century Learning, 10/2 16 September 2015
Come to the EMID Board Meetings
You can also read our notes from past meetings.
Please write your own letter to the EMID board or anyone else you can think of.
- The addresses of the EMID board members are available on our Joint Powers Board page (or just use this list of all the board members).
- We also have the addresses of EMID superintendents available (or just use this list of all the superintendents).
- Some parents have also expressed interest in writing to Brenda Cassellius, Minnesota’s Commissioner of Education (and EMID’s former superintendent). Brenda can be reached at email@example.com or 651-582-8200.
The letters below may serve as inspiration. If you’d like your letter listed below, just send it to firstname.lastname@example.org as well as the board.
Here are some letters from families: Shannon Hannigan, Kelly DeBrine, Tracy Reitmann, Nathaniel Celeste, Willow Berthiaume, Laurel & Fred LeBlanc, Leslye Taylor, The Schlenker Family (including letters from Kayleigh, Nathan, and Lauren), Carrie Dickson, Eric Celeste, Joanne & Timothy Wunsch, Mary Hess.
Finally, a letter from Kathy Griebel, principal at Harambee.
Sign our Petition
While we handed over 460 petition signatures to the board at their 9/21 meeting, we still welcome your signature! Please read and sign our EMID-SOS petition.
Talk to the Media
If you are a member of the media, please see our media resources page.
The Pioneer Press ran a story by Megan Boldt on 10/20: “Harambee, Crosswinds magnet schools won’t close.”
The Star Tribune published a story by Daarel Burnette on 10/19: “Board opts to keep integration schools open around the metro.”
MPR aired and published a story by Tom Weber on 10/19: “Fate of East Metro Integration District’s schools to be decided tonight.”
The Pioneer Press ran another report by Megan Boldt on 10/13: “Schools in Woodbury, Maplewood could get a reprieve.”
The Pioneer Press published an article by Megan Boldt on 10/5: “2 east metro magnet schools face closing in Maplewood, Woodbury.”
The Star Tribune published an article on 9/20: “Parents worry that east-metro schools face closure.”
MPR story by Tom Weber on 9/14, Perpich Center considers taking over East Metro Integration District’s 2 schools.
MPR ran a story by Tom Weber on the morning of 8/31. East metro integration district considers closing its two schools. He quotes Superintendent Robicheau, St. Paul & EMID board member John Brodrick, and parents Mike Boguszewski and Eric Celeste. You can also follow Tom on Twitter.
Support our staff
Please check out the great ideas for supporting our staff in these stressful times.
Grab some Gear
If you want to show off the EMID-SOS message, check out this gear.
We also have stickers from back-to-school-night. Please write to Eric to gets some.
Finally, make your own gear! Here are many versions of the EMID-SOS logo. Have fun with it!
Come to Our Next EMID-SOS Meeting
The next EMID-SOS meeting will be announced here once we schedule it. Keep your eye on this space! <!– It will be held at 1993 Lincoln Avenue, Saint Paul, MN 55105. Please contact Eric Celeste at 651-323-2009 or email email@example.com to RSVP and get directions. –>